Monday, March 4, 2013

Preview of Myself in Three Images

Creative Work

The drawing above is my interpretive sketch of Étienne-Louis Boullée’s memorial for Newton, which I drew for last year’s Architectural History. The sketch exhibits Newton’s Monument in the reflection of the eye’s iris. This was done to highlight the monument’s spherical form and illustrate the building’s analogy with the human physique. Through this drawing I explored the effects of day and night on the dome and its ability to represent the sublime beauty of nature as captured in Boullée’s images.      
 

Great Piece of Architecture

The Sendai Mediatheque library, designed by Toyo Ito in 1995, uses the combination of ingenious engineering and aesthetics to create a great piece of architecture. The building’s transparency and ability to appear weightless is achieved through the utilization of thin concrete slabs supported by the seaweed like steel “pillars” which blends with the environment. I found this along with the changing height and lighting of the different floors to form a fluid space which is both aesthetically pleasing and stimulating. 

Original Photograph

The two photographs are long exposures of Sydney Harbour's view, capturing the skyline and architectural icons of Sydney in a soft pastel light that appears to dance on the rippled surface of the water. I wanted these photographs to exhibit the nature of light and its ability to transform buildings into a dream like landscape and inspire the viewer’s imagination.  



No comments:

Post a Comment