Sunday, April 14, 2013

Experiment:1 Final


This is my building for Antonio Stradivari (above) and Jiro Ono (below). The building is based on the words rhythmic and balance. Which is initially represented by the drawing below.



After multiple modifications, this is my final two dimensional sectional drawing.
 Steel, Concrete, Timber, Glass, and Copper

These are the following textures I decided to use for my model.

Transparent

 Scratch


 Dense

 Thin


Molten


 Dense


I decided to use so many textures in my building as the materiality of my building above is extremely important as it describes the use of the space.

Here is the final product of the building which is unfortunately too big to be uploaded to 3D Warehouse (which I have tried to reduce the file size, however this would have meant a loss of detail), hence I uploaded it to dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdeclhcgpp5a3e9/KarinCHING.skp

Here are the following videos of my building.



This video exhibits the relationship of the studio's to the landscape and how the spacial quality of the datum is created by the surrounding landscape. It also shows the exhibition space for Antonio Stradivari's and Jiro Ono's creations. 

Stradivari's creative works are displayed in the under belly of the building floating building. However, Jiro Ono has no exhibition space as I believe sushi shouldn't be shown in glass cases but eaten in front of the chef. I found this out from watching 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi'. Hence I decided to have a tunnel staircase that opens up to the visitor, inviting them to enter into Jiro Ono's sushi bar.



This video exhibits the underground space of Jiro Ono's studio. The building has a bottle neck where the visitor is squeezed into a tunnel staircase underground to open up into a large room that hangs over the cliff side. I did this as the building appears to balance over the side of the cliff, similar to how his Tamogoyaki Nigiri meticulously balance on top of each other. Also the changing spacial area and lighting emphasizes how the ground appears to compress the individual, resulting in the visitor's awareness that they are going underground.


The building for Antonio Stradivari's studio is made up of multiple circular rooms which represent the rhythmic nature of music. The rooms are all designed for a specific purpose which is reflected in the size of the chambers and the materials they are made of. Initially we see the workspace where Stradivari can create his string instruments, however the following chambers are all made so that a different quality of notes can be heard when playing there. Hence, I made three test chambers. The first chamber is an open space with hollow triangles through the walls. The second chamber has thick walls and is completely enclosed apart from walkway. The third chamber is a dome on its side that amplifies sound and is the most ideal space to create the best acoustics. This chamber also is open to the datum, hence visitors can see and hear Stradivari playing his instruments.

Here is a cross section of the two buildings.
Here is Jiro Ono's sushi bench that faces off into the horizon.

Here is Antonio Stradivari's work space. The secound chamber.

Here are the final staircase drawings.


Jiro Ono's staircase design is to emphasize the users awareness of its surroundings. Hence I decided to use glass steps to reveal the rock of the cliff face where the building is dug into. Also the tunnel surrounding the stairs reminds the user that they are going underground by creating a contrasting spatial dimensions with the open datum and the large interior.



Antonio Stradivari's staircase appears to hang from the belly of the building. This is emphasized by the spiral baluster that appears to be falling into the floor and the thing treads. The treads are also arched outwards which emphasizes the use of circles in the building and also appears to welcome the user. I decided to use timber as the main material as it adds onto the Fibonacci spiral produced by the treads moving further away from the pole.

No comments:

Post a Comment